How to Help Your Family Effortlessly Memorize Scripture
Do you want to know a fantastic way to help your family memorize scripture with no effort?
A song comes on the radio and you’re singing along before you realize it. The tune might even put you back in the place and time you first heard it, or a special person you heard it with.
“Our brains are hard-wired to connect music with long-term memory,” but music does more than just evoke pleasant memories.
Music is a powerful mnemonic device. According to an article in the Wall Street Journal, “the song’s structure is what allows a person to recall the information it holds—not necessarily the catchy tune itself.” One study shows that the tune itself isn’t even necessary to help in recollection–oftentimes the words themselves are enough to activate the memory of a song.
Your children sing a silly little ditty one too many times and it’s stuck in your head the rest of the day. You might even be able to help them easily memorize math facts or Bible verses when they are set to music.
Music engages a large percentage of the brain. A brain imaging study suggests that, “The motor areas process the rhythm, the auditory areas process the sound, while the limbic regions are associated with the emotions.”
When you fill your home’s playlist with Scripture set to music, you are providing your family (and yourself!) with one of the most effortless avenues for memorizing the Bible.
I’ve organized this list of albums and songs by style. From soft Scripture lullabies to upbeat Bible memory songs, there’s something for everyone. And plenty of easy-listening music genres that Mom will love to keep on repeat.
Music labeled with quotations are single songs while music labeled in italics are full albums.
Psalms Set to Music
“…Be filled with the Spirit, addressing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody to the Lord with your heart…”
(Ephesians 5:18b-19, ESV)
When I’m exhausted, discouraged, or sick, I turn to the Psalms–their familiar words giving shape to my wordless prayers. I put the Sons of Korah or The SHIYR Poets on repeat, often falling asleep to their cadence, as I rest in the sweet assurances of the Psalms set to music.
This section features artists who have put the words of the Psalms to their own style of music. Some are more true to the traditional sound of the Psalms, others are more contemporary.
This post may contain affiliate links through which Club31Women might get a small compensation – with no additional cost to you. See my disclosure policy here.
John Michael Talbot
- “My God, My God (Psalm 22)”
- “Psalm 23 (The Lord Is My Shepherd)”
- “One Thing (Psalm 27)”
- “Father, I Put My Life In Your Hands (Psalm 31)”
- “Commit Your Life (Psalm 37)”
- “Psalm 42 (Like A Deer)”
- “Psalm 51”
- “Psalm 62 (Only In God)”
- “As Morning Breaks (Psalm 63)”
- “Psalm 86”
- “Psalm 91”
- “Psalm 95 (Come Worship The Lord)”
- “Give Thanks To The Lord (Psalm 107)”
- “I Will Lift Up My Eyes (Psalm 121)”
- “Unless The Lord Builds the House (Psalm 127:1,2)”
- “Psalm 131 (Come To The Quiet)”
Sons of Korah
The Sons of Korah were my first introduction to Psalms set to music. Their authentic sound holds a special place in my heart.
The SHIYR Poets
Shane & Shane
The Psalms Project
This band’s awesome goal is to set every one of the 150 Psalms to music!
Abe & Liza Philip
- “Psalm 22”
- “Open My Lips”
- “Oh God, You Are My God (Psalm 63)”
- “Psalm 91”
- “Come, Let Us Worship (Psalm 95:6,7)”
- “Psalms 139”
New Hope Oahu
- “Psalm 23 (I Am Not Alone)“
- “Psalm 91 (My Refuge)“
- “Psalm 118 (The Lord Is For Me)“
- “Psalm 63 (Steadfast Love)“
- “Psalm 143 (Unfailing Love)“
- “Psalm 40 (A New Song)“
- “How Majestic Is Thy Name (Psalm 8)”
- “The Lord Is My Shepherd (23rd Psalm)”
- “Create In Me A Clean Heart (Psalm 51)”
The Corner Room
- “How Long (Psalm 13)”
- “My Shepherd (Psalm 23)”
- “Death of a Son (Psalm 22/69)“
- “O Give the Lord (Psalm 111)”
- “My Help (Psalm 121)”
- “Search Me and Know Me (Psalm 129)“
Easy-Listening Scripture Songs
“I will sing to the LORD as long as I live; I will sing praise to my God while I have being.”
(Psalm 104:33, ESV)
With four children ten and under, my house has plenty of noise. So the last thing I want to do when I turn on music is feel like I’m adding to the noise. That’s why I love this collection of music with lyrics straight from Scripture, from artists like Sandra McCracken and Christy Martenson. The style is uplifting and enjoyed by the whole family, but the sound is easy on mommy’s ears.
This list focuses on word for word Scripture songs that I enjoy keeping on repeat in my home. These songs and albums are more mature than traditional children’s Bible memory songs.
John Michael Talbot
The Gospel Coalition
These particular songs are some of Fernando Ortega’s beautiful musical renditions of Scripture.
New Hope Oahu
Matt Minikus & Josie Minikus
Every song on the album Wait on The Lord is made up of beautiful prayers and praise composed by Christy Martenson. These two songs specifically are word for word Scripture:
Nathan Clark George
Grace Evangelical Church
Michael Card has composed entire albums themed around specific books of the Bible (Matthew: The Penultimate Question, Mark: The Beginning of the Gospel, Luke: A World Turned Upside Down, and John: A Misunderstood Messiah). Here are a few of his songs with word for word Scripture lyrics (see more in the Psalms section):
Bible Memory Songs
“I have stored up your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you.”
(Psalm 119:11, ESV)
“Do to others, do to others, what you would have them do to you…” I can still sing along to every word of the 41 songs on Steve Green’s album Hide ‘Em In Your Heart. I grew up on the set of two cassette tapes and then bought them in CD format for my own children. We’ve expanded our memory music repertoire to include many more albums focused on encouraging Scripture memory.
The list below features more upbeat music and often includes the Scripture references spoken or sung with the words of the verses.
The Wonder Kids
Sovereign Grace Music
Songs for Saplings
Don’t miss their six-album set Questions With Answers for an excellent way to memorize catechism, as well!
Slugs and Bugs Sing the Bible
Seeds Family Worship
Seeds produces modern, word for word Scripture memory music and videos, along with many free resources.
- Seeds of Courage
- Seeds of Faith
- Seeds of Praise
- Seeds of Purpose
- The Power of Encouragement
- Seeds of Character
- The Character of God
- The Word of God
- The Journey
Their name is short for “memorizers” and their mission is to “instill in kids a love for Jesus Christ and his Word through Scripture memory, praise and worship.”
Dave and Jess Ray
Abe & Liza Philip
My husband grew up on Psalty praise songs. Most of the songs in this album are based directly on Scripture passages.
- Hide ‘Em In Your Heart Volume 1
- Hide ‘Em In Your Heart Volume 2
- Hide ‘Em In Your Heart Praise & Worship
Max Lucado’s Hermie & Friends
- Scripture Memory Songs: Verses About Behaving
- Scripture Memory Songs: Verses About Being a Friend
- Scripture Memory Songs: Verses About Being Brave
- Scripture Memory Songs: Verses About Being Special
- Scripture Memory Songs: Verses About Being Truthful
- Scripture Memory Songs: Verses About Following the Rules
- Scripture Memory Songs: Verses About Sharing
Integrity Music’s Scripture Memory Songs
Integrity Music provides vast variety of themed Scripture memory albums in a slightly less contemporary, but still very enjoyable, style of music.
- Building Your Faith
- Everlasting Hope
- God’s Comfort
- God’s Grace
- God’s Guidance
- God’s Love
- God’s Provision
- Hope of Heaven
- Overcoming Anxiety
- Overcoming Fear
- Overcoming Guilt
- Overcoming Stress
- Personal Victory
- Renewing Your Mind
- Shield of Faith
- Spiritual Warfare
- Strength That Endures
- Fighter Verse Songs: Set 1
- Fighter Verse Songs: Set 2
- Fighter Verse Songs: Set 3
- Fighter Verse Songs: Set 4
- Fighter Verse Songs: Set 5
Upbeat Aussie Praise™ Bible memory songs!
- Hide the Word
- A Ransom for Many: Hide the Word, Vol. 2
- Once for All: Hide the Word, Vol. 3
- Refuge & Strength: Hide the Word, Vol. 4
- Word of the Cross: Hide the Word, Vol. 5
- Weight of Glory: Hide the Word, Vol. 6
- Not One Falls: Hide the Word, Vol. 7
- Through the Waters: Hide the Word, Vol. 8
- Walk Humbly, Hide the Word, Vol. 9
- Ends of the Earth: Hide the Word, Vol. 10
“But his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night.”
(Psalm 1:2, ESV)
When I was little, I was afraid of the dark. I wrote out verses like Hebrews 13:6 and hung them on my canopy bed where I could see them as I fell asleep. Now, I play Michael Card’s Sleep Sound in Jesus and Scripture Lullabies’ Hidden In My Heart for my own children at bedtime. There’s nothing sweeter than falling asleep to the promises of Jesus as a lullaby! And some experiments even suggest that deep sleep is actually prime time for reinforcing memorization.
These albums are composed of the words of Scripture set to relaxing melodies designed to lull the whole family to sleep and store His Word in your heart.
Seeds Family Worship
- Hidden In My Heart: A Lullaby Journey Through Scripture
- Hidden In My Heart, Volume II, A Lullaby Journey Through Scripture
- Hidden in My Heart, Volume III, A Lullaby Journey Through The Life Of Jesus
Patch the Pirate
I grew up on Patch the Pirate’s adventures and fun songs. These are in a very different, very lovely style that is typical of Majesty Music.
What songs are on your Scripture playlist? I’d love to hear your suggestions!
Because He Lives,