You wouldn’t guess just by looking at her.
That she’s not so much a young girl, but a more of a woman every day.
And that now it’s as though there’s only a small window of time to teach her the many lessons she should learn.
This fleeting, but oh-so-wonderful chance to share wisdom with a girl who’s growing up right before you.
Because you and I both know it takes a lot to be a woman.
And even more to be a lovely one.
You understand – it’s not so much her appearance – but what goes on in her heart and in her mind.
Things of truth and beauty.
Of courage and kindness.
Of strength and sweetness.
So how do you prepare her for that?
24 Ways to Prepare Your Young Girl
- Be gentle in words and actions. Let your beauty come from a gentle and quiet spirit (I Pet. 3:4).
- Determine to be strong. As a woman, you’ll face many situations where you’ll need to be steady and of a sound mind. Strength and honor are her clothing (Prov. 31:25).
- Live purely. There’s goodness and power in purity.
- Choose joy. You will bless everyone around you with your joyful countenance. Besides, it’s a lovely way to live.
- Seek wisdom. And as wisdom comes from above, look up (James 3).
- Laugh freely. It will lighten your spirit and everyone else around you too.
- Care for your health. Be sure and eat good foods, exercise, and get enough rest. If you care for yourself, then you’ll be better able to care for others too.
- Speak sweetly. People will be able – and more open – to listen to you if you do.
- Be willing to work hard. Learn to enjoy your tasks and take on what must be tackled (Prov. 31:13).
- Sing loudly. A song can both change a mood and give glory to God. So make a loud noise! (Ps. 98:4).
- Study many different things. Decide you’re going to be a life-long student. Learn about gardening, ancient history, bread-baking, new languages, natural medicine, geography, or anything else that fascinates you.
- Look after those in need. Have compassion on others and use your gifts to bless them.
- Bring beauty into your life. And into the life of others. Whether it be flowers, art, poetry, handwork, or bright colors.
- Walk through trials in faith. Don’t walk in your own strength, but trust Him who will carry you through.
- Dress with modesty. Truly lovely. I Tim. 2:9
- Invest in a few good friends. Make time for and pursue relationships with those who can encourage you, inspire you and challenge you.
- Prepare delicious foods. Bless those around you with your simple culinary gifts.
- Spend time alone in the Word. Don’t ever get too busy for time with your God.
- Be kind to others. Kindness isn’t all that hard to offer and yet has such a significant impact on those around you. And on her tongue is the law of kindness (Prov. 31:26b).
- Serve cheerfully. Look to Christ as your example, not what the world says about service. Nothing begrudging or stingy there (Phil. 2).
- Pray about all things. Don’t try to solve everything by yourself, but go to your Heavenly Father with your joys, cares and concerns (Eph. 6:18).
- Watch what you say. Your words have power to build up or tear down. So use them carefully.
- Love others deeply. I Corinthians 13.
- Draw near to God. And He will draw near to you. (James 4:8)
Yes, it takes a lot to be a woman. And even more to be a lovely one. But it’s so what I want for her.
It’s what I want for me too.
In His grace,
*Free Printable: 24 Ways to Prepare Her to be a Lovely Woman Printable.
**Also, 24 Ways to Prepare Your Young Man to be a Gentleman
(This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure.)
100 Ways to Love to Your Son/Daughter
You love your son and daughter–but that doesn’t mean you always know the most effective ways to show that love, ways that will connect with their hearts, and stick with them no matter what life throws their way.
These practical books by the authors of 100 Ways to Love Your Wife and 100 Ways to Love Your Husband give you 100 specific, actionable ideas you can implement to show love to your children, no matter what age they are.
The best part? The short, bite-sized readings make it easy to start right now!